Text Box: Welcome

© 2007 Mark McCorquodale         Site Map

Aerial photograph of Alkborough

About our villages

 

The village of Alkborough sits on the northern edge of the limestone escarpment which runs through the county from Stamford northwards. At Alkborough, this is the northernmost outcrop of "Cotswold limestone".

 

On the Western side of the village is a medieval turf maze, this was first recorded in 1697 and is known locally as Julian’s Bower. This unicursal maze lies in a small basin-like depression on a small plateau near Alkborough. From about 1080 to 1220 AD a Benedictine monastery stood not far from the site and in the mid-nineteenth century the maze was still used for May-eve games.

 

The centre of the village is marked by the church, a Saxon/Norman building with a history which extends way back into the mists of time. The church of St John The Baptist. This has a Saxon-Norman tower to the west and in 1887 the church was much restored by John Oldrid Scot who built the chancel in the Early English Style but unusually he left the Georgian ceilings intact. He also built the wooden south porch which has a pattern of a maze in the floor. The shaft of the churchyard cross which is very worn has for years been used as a sharpening stone.

 

The history of Alkborough extends to pre-Christian times and was settled far back into the Bronze-Age. The mound on which the church stands, one can conjecture to have been the centre of the village and of village life.